CLASS Email February 27, 2021

Dear CSE community members:

Last week, you heard from Dean Gallimore about the formation of a CSE Climate Assessment Committee. As chair of that committee, known as CLASS, I wanted to provide you with an update on the committee’s charge and projected timeline, and invite you to an introductory discussion to learn more.

On Tuesday, March 2 at 9 am, you are invited to an Introductory Virtual Meeting with CLASS. During this session, we will cover:

• Motivation for climate assessment
  • Introduction of the committee charge
  • Introduction of criteria for third party conducting the survey 
  • Q&A

Please RSVP

I highly encourage your attendance – transparent communication and community engagement are critical towards achieving our goals. However, to be as inclusive as possible, we will also be providing slides and notes from the session to the community afterwards, and posting them on our webpage.

This webpage (https://cse-climate.engin.umich.edu/climate-committee/) will be our primary hub for keeping the community informed on progress. Since its inception last week, it has been updated to include the committee’s:

• Charge
  • Deliverables and timeline
  • Collaboration/communication mechanisms
  • Criteria for employing a third party

I start this job with a very humble mind. I am dedicated to fulfill the committee’s charge, but fundamentally success depends on our ability to connect this process with each and every one of you. I hope we can engage in a constructive and forward-looking interaction. 

Tuija Pulkkinen
CLASS Chair